As writers, we need to keep reading, learning, and writing to develop our craft. There’s so much to learn as we write and develop our stories–finding memories, taking care of ourselves, telling the truth, writing to heal, discovering our structure, and so much more. After writing, we need to learn about editing, marketing, publicity, and publishing.
On this page we’ll be listing articles, resources, and inspiration to help you get your book into the world.
Psychology Today Interview with Mark Matousek and Linda Joy Myers
Click here to listen to podcast interview with Linda Joy and Mark Matousek.
- Free Webinar (Monday, April 17): What Made Love Warrior a Best-Selling Memoir? - SIGN UP TO JOIN US for this free one-hour installment of our popular best-seller series. Monday, April 17th, at 4pm PT | 5pm MT | 6pm CT | 7pm ET In this hour-long free webinar, Linda Joy and Brooke be exploring memoirs that bare all—and spare no one—using Glennon Doyle Melton’s new memoir, Love Warrior, […]
- The Psychological Journey of Memoir Writing - When we begin a journey, we’re excited. We pack our suitcase, imagining the moments to come. The thrill of our destination courses through us, spurring us on. We begin with high hopes for what we’ll encounter. I remember when I prepared for my trip to France not long ago how excited I was go to […]
- How Do I Begin—The Most Asked Question in Memoirland - When you begin to write a memoir, you soon discover several layers to the process: there’s the emotional angst most people feel about writing about themselves, the worry about exposing yourself and your family to public scrutiny when the book is published. And there are questions about the craft of writing a story. After all, […]
- Structure: The Backbone of Your Memoir - We’re all fired up about STRUCTURE this month. Why? Because we see over and over again how important this key element is to actually executing a readable memoir. Plus, we know it’s a place where memoirists struggle, and there are some firm decisions you can make to ease your way into a structure that sings. […]
- Storytelling in Memoir - We all have a story to tell, but ah–how to tell it, that’s what keeps us at our desk, scribbling in our notebooks, looking for the scenes and moments that we carry in our hearts. Our job as memoirists is to translate what we know and remember to the page, to put images and wispy […]
- The Heart and Soul of Memoir Writing—Inspiration and Empowerment to Finish Your Book by Linda Joy Myers - I just returned from a retreat sponsored by She Writes Press, an event offer by my publisher in gorgeous Boulders Resort in Scottsdale, Arizona. Brooke Warner, my co-teacher for the Write Your Memoir in Six Months course for the last five years, is also the publisher for SWP. The amazing stark landscape of Arizona with […]
- Legal and Ethical Questions in Your Memoir - At most of our memoir events, whether it’s group coaching or our teleseminars, we get questions about legal and ethical concerns. When we’re writing “the truth” it’s our truth and our point of view, but as you know, there may be a chorus of other people who don’t agree with our version of what happened. […]
- The Soul Making Keats Memoir Contest—Please submit your work! - I’ve enjoyed judging the memoir vignette competition for the last several years as a sponsor. What I love is being immersed in worlds other than my own, and being invited into the hearts and lives of others. I urge you to edit your work, and even get it edited by a professional before you submit. […]
- Choosing a Book Designer that Fits Your Soul and the Soul of Your Memoir - By Robin Brooks, The Beauty of Books You have written your memoir. You have put your heart and soul into it. It is your life. It is your breath. It is who you are. Now it is time to put your memoir out into the world. What is the process for doing this? Who are […]
- What Made Susannah Cahalan’s Brain on Fire a Best-selling Memoir? - Join us for our new best-seller short course: How to Write a Memoir That Changes Lives Class dates: Sept 19, Sept 26, Oct 3, Oct 10 Mondays at 4pm PT | 5pm MT | 6pm CT | 7pm ET All classes are one hour and we record all sessions so that you can watch the […]