As writers, we need to keep reading, learning, and writing to develop our craft. There’s so much to learn as we write and develop our stories–finding memories, taking care of ourselves, telling the truth, writing to heal, discovering our structure, and so much more. After writing, we need to learn about editing, marketing, publicity, and publishing.
On this page we’ll be listing articles, resources, and inspiration to help you get your book into the world.
Psychology Today Interview with Mark Matousek and Linda Joy Myers
Click here to listen to podcast interview with Linda Joy and Mark Matousek.
- Writing Your Story Will Change You - Do you have a family story that won’t leave you alone? Have you spent time not being sure you should or can write it? That’s how I felt as I approached trying to write both memoirs—Don’t Call Me Mother and Song of the Plains. I tried to push aside completing my first book because it […]
- FREE Memoir Webinar: Truth in Memoir: A Journey of Healing and Transformation - May 19, 2017 Free Day Long event: 10 AM/1PM to 2 PM/5 PM We’re very excited here at NAMW to offer a day long discussion about truth in memoir–one of the hottest topics memoirists discuss online, in forums, and in running Facebook posts! As memoirists, we have to struggle with “the truth.” When we write […]
- Spring Membership Sale - A memoir tells the story that otherwise would be lost. If you are writing a memoir, you probably are aware of the various layers of excitement/worry/curiosity/ and passion that goes with such a project. It takes craft and creativity, persistence and motivation to write a story about your life. It means you are vulnerable and […]
- Exposure in Writing, My New Memoir, and Finding Freedom from the Past - In April, the colors are yellow, and green and blue skies, a season of life surging upward toward the sun. When we writers feel this upward movement of energy, we need to catch the wave. After all, there are plenty of times when despite positive energy and sun and the potential for creativity, we can […]
- What Made Love Warrior a Best-selling Memoir? - An Examination of a Memoir That Bares the Soul (And Spares No One) 4-WEEK CLASS Class dates (Mondays): April 24, May 1, May 8, May 15 4pm PT | 5pm MT | 6pm CT | 7pm ET Classes are one hour long and we record all sessions so that you can watch the recordings if […]
- Current Events - What Made Love Warrior a Best-selling Memoir? An Examination of a Memoir That Bares the Soul (And Spares No One) 4-WEEK CLASS Class dates (Mondays): April 24, May 1, May 8, May 15 4pm PT | 5pm MT | 6pm CT | 7pm ET Classes are one hour long and we record all sessions so […]
- The Creative Process - How do we create something out of nothing? Or perhaps a better question is—how do we create, period? Where does the creative impulse come from, and how can we find it? How do we know when we have “it”? These circular questions arise with writers and all creative artists, and there is no answer that […]
- Pitch-O-Rama - Pitch your book to agents and editors at Pitch–O–Rama on Saturday, March 25, 2017 from 8:00 AM – 12:30 PM, at the Women’s Building, 3543 18th Street (between Guerrero & Valencia), San Francisco. Sponsored by the Women’s National Book Association-SF Chapter, women- and men, too- will have an opportunity to work with professionals on […]
- Free Webinar (Monday, April 17): What Made Love Warrior a Best-Selling Memoir? - SIGN UP TO JOIN US for this free one-hour installment of our popular best-seller series. Monday, April 17th, at 4pm PT | 5pm MT | 6pm CT | 7pm ET In this hour-long free webinar, Linda Joy and Brooke be exploring memoirs that bare all—and spare no one—using Glennon Doyle Melton’s new memoir, Love Warrior, […]
- The Psychological Journey of Memoir Writing - When we begin a journey, we’re excited. We pack our suitcase, imagining the moments to come. The thrill of our destination courses through us, spurring us on. We begin with high hopes for what we’ll encounter. I remember when I prepared for my trip to France not long ago how excited I was go to […]